Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Pages of today!



















Today we have a couple of smaller papers that have been doing their something-out-of-nothing homework. A nice job by the Sentinel Record in Hot Springs, Ark. The use of color guides the eye and the overlapping dek gives the package some depth. At first I thought I wanted to see a pic of a cell phone, but I think that was handled well in the hed, and its abscence makes for a cleaner package. I definately wish there were a dek on the Montgomery page, but the hed's still clever and the illustration engaging. Since it's not totally clear, what's happening here is this: Alabama schools are no longer allowing teachers to reward students with food like candy or muffins. Yes, the story said muffins. I don't know about you guys but I never got anything nearly as cool as a muffin. On a related note, I wonder how this will affect the study of fractions? I always looked forward to that day where we all got a bag of m&ms in math class, and since it's not technically a reward....

No comments: