Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Coretta Scott King pages




I was surprised that there weren't more awesome offerings out of the South for the first lady of civil right's death. I was particularly fond of these three and would like to know more about Atlanta's collage--Kenny Monteith are you out there? Kudos to my own competition, the Palm Beach Post. Nice work everyone.

Scooped by Newsdesigner (who else?)! He's got the info: page design by ArLuther Lee; photo illustration by Jerome Thompson.

Palm Beach Post page by Daniela Dornic Jones with Jay Rose helping out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked Atlanta. As for Palm Beach, am I the only one who thinks it's creepy to lead with a picture of Coretta in funeral garb on the day of her death?

melissa angle said...

Whoops! I'll make that change, Kenny. Thanks for stopping by! Was this page something you guys had in the works?

melissa angle said...

Been thinking about Bo's comment: I wonder if that kind of worrying is just something we do in the newsroom. It might be something I would have brought up were that photo presented to me, but as a "reader" of the Post, it didn't cross my mind until Bonita mentioned it. I thought the photo was classy and stately and captured her "spirit-in-the-face-of-adversity." Anyone else?

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify: Daniela Dornic Jones was the primary designer; Jay Rose also worked on the page. For whatever it's worth, the funeral shot by Flip Schulke (now a Palm Beach resident) was Life's cover image when it was taken and is arguably the most famous picture of Coretta Scott King, and thus arguably familiar enough to not be spooky (an interview with Schulke, who became a friend of the Kings long before Martin's assasination, ran inside). But the question of its appropriate use is certainly a legitimate one.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Nicole!

No it wasn't something we had in the can. Long story .... but it came together very nicely. It printed MUCH better than I anticipated.

Bo, I can see where you're coming from, but Flip Schulke has more than 400 photographs and MLK and his family. He's arguably the number source of photos for the family, and Lord knows we're in contact with him for our special section. LOL